Insomnia is a lack of experiencing quality sleep despite having the motivation, time, and space for it to happen. Sleep is imperative for physical, emotional, and mental recovery. Sleep is key for optimal brain function and maintaining an effective immune system. A lack of sleep can cause physical disorders and affect anxiety and depression.
Insomnia affects 40-50% of the population, and increases with age, illness, and periods of intense stress. Treatment revolves around behavior modification and pharmaceuticals.
How Cannabis Can Help
Sativex, Cessamet, Marinol have been successful in trials for other illnesses with sleep benefiting as a side effect. CBN & THC together may put the body to rest allowing patients to fall asleep faster, sleep through the night, and to achieve extended periods of deep sleep. CBD is alerting at low doses, so higher dosing can sedate due to the biphasic properties. The calm felt from wellness dosing of CBD naturally provides better rest at night. Cannabis reduces REM sleep and may help those suffering with nightmares and flashbacks of PTSD.
Want to learn more about
Insomnia & Cannabis
Check out our Patient Program
- National Library of Medicine, Prevalence of chronic insomnia in adult patients and its correlation with medical comorbidities
- Project CBD, Cannabis & Sleep Disturbances
- Ovid, The Effects of Nabilone on Sleep in Fibromyalgia: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial
- BioMed Central, Association between perceived insufficient sleep, frequent mental distress, obesity and chronic diseases among US adults, 2009 behavioral risk factor surveillance system
- The Sleep Doctor, Thinking About Using Cannabis For Sleep? Here Are Some Things To Know. Your Guide to Better Sleep
- Wiley Online Library, Cannabis, Pain, and Sleep: Lessons from Therapeutic Clinical Trials of Sativex®, a Cannabis-Based Medicine