Alzheimer’s dementia is an irreversible & progressive disease that destroys memory and thinking skills, robbing the ability to carry out tasks. 1:2 people over 85 may develop AD. 6M in USA & 55M global prevalence.
Disruptive tangles of proteins develop in the brain forming plaques, cutting off communication and causing neurodegeneration. Low levels of acetylcholine are common and there may be a genetic risk with APOE4 presence being a risk factor.
- Memory loss
- Poor judgment leading to bad decisions
- Loss of spontaneity and sense of initiative
- Taking longer to complete normal daily tasks
- Repeating questions
- Trouble handling money and paying bills
- Wandering and getting lost
- Losing things or misplacing them in odd places
- Mood and personality changes
- Increased anxiety and/or aggression
How Cannabis Can Help
CB1 activation by THC inhibits glutamate excitotoxicity, may reduce Tao protein buildup in plaques, and reduces acetylcholinesterase. CBD affects glutamate, serotonin, dopamine, TRPV1, opiate, and dozens of receptors affecting pain, mood, energy, sleep, and appetite. CBD improves blood flow, < inflammation and THC may slow learning deficits, promote alertness, and a positive shift in perception and mood.
Want to learn more about
Alzheimer’s Disease & Cannabis
Check out our Patient Program
- Distinguishing normal brain aging from the development of Alzheimer's disease: inflammation, insulin signaling and cognition. Denver P, McClean PL. Neural regeneration research.
- CBD as Preventative Medicine. Project CBD.
- Alzheimer's Disease Fact Sheet. National Institute on Aging.
- National Institute on Aging, What Are the Signs of Alzheimer's Disease?
- The Herbivoire, Brain Health, Alzheimer’s Disease, and the Limited Research of Cannabis as Treatment